Monday, July 7, 2008

What not to wear

I wonder how many of us writing women identified with Jo in Little Women. I just reread the book, and Jo is still my girl. Meg is too prissy; Amy, too spoiled; Meg, too good to be believed. But Jo -- strong-willed, impatient, and driven by her need to write -- now there's a heroine to admire.

I'm sure you remember where she wrote while she lived at home, tucked away in the upstairs garret, munching on apples. But how many of you remember her "scribbling suit"? "Her scribbling suit consisted of a black woolen pinafore on which she could wipe her pen at will, and a cap of the same material, adorned with a cheerful red bow, into which she bundled her hair when the decks were cleared for action. This cap was a beacon to the inquiring eyes of her family, who during these periods kept their distance, merely popping in their heads semi-occasionally to ask with interest, 'Does genius burn, Jo?' They did not always venture even to ask this question, but took an observation of the cap, and judged accordingly. If this expressive article of dress was drawn low upon the forehead, it was a sign that hard work was going on, in exciting moments it was pushed rakishlyh askew, and when despair seized the author it was plucked wholly off, and cast upon the floor. at such times the intruder silently withdrew, and not until the red bow ws seen gaily erect upon the gifted brow, did anyone dare address Jo" (Barnes and Noble Classics, p. 260).

I am so grateful that I live in a time and place in which woolen pinafores are not the norm. When I am writing in my home office, I wear leggings or sweat pants and a baggy t shirt, the same clothes I wear to the gym. My feet are bare nearly year round.

And you? What is your scribbling suit?

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Having worked at home for several years now, my writing clothes are the same as my daily work clothes: denim skirt or shorts in the summer, leggings in the winter. The tops vary according to the weather, but always match the bottoms. Unlike others who work at home, I do make a concerted effort to look fairly presentable, even if it’s just the UPS guy who’s going to see me. But there are exceptions to every rule, of course. If I’m inspired to write while still in bed (which is often the case), then I’ll immediately get up and rush to the computer in my “bata” (my family’s Puerto Rican slang for PJs/robe), where I’ll type madly for hours until the inspiration passes. Not a pretty sight (and hopefully the UPS guy won’t arrive until I’ve at least taken a shower!)