Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 3

I have had a contract for more than a year now to revise a book that was published in 2001, CHILDREN AND LIBRARIES. I've thought about it a lot and fretted even more, but until July 1 not one word existed in the new manuscript. I have now started writing in earnest. This blog will be the place where I write and fret and think about the process.

I started with the easiest chapter, the historical overview of library service to children. This is the only chapter that I can just revise; all of the others will be brand new, written from scratch. I've had to retype the whole thing -- what on earth did I do with the original Word file? But this has been good because it combines a kind of mechanical process with reflection. I've been revising as I go along, mostly adding new information.

I'm almost at a decision point. In the earlier edition, the second chapter was a kind of assessment of the current status of library service to children. I am considering now whether to fold some of that information ino the historical overview as something like the "recent past." We'll see how that goes.

Reflections: 1. As painful as it is to get started on a big writing project (or even a little one), it is not as painful as fretting about NOT writing. 2. I don't know what I know until I've written it down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginny, do keep in mind the subtitle to the first edition of Children & Libraries: Getting It Right. You helped us do just that. And there is no person better suited than you to bring clarity, insight and a global perspective to the field of library service to children. So, back to writing! Your fan,
Susan Patron

Theresa said...

This is wonderful, Ginny!

I thought I left a comment earlier, but it seems to have vanished into cyberspace. Trying one more time....

Love and luck and yay for you!!!

Theresa

Ginny said...

Thank you, Susan! Thank you, Theresa! You are my faithful friends and most reliable supporters -- and a source of inspiration. (See the next post for more.)