Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Deadlines

My editor emailed me this week and asked how things were going since I had committed to a February 1 deadline to complete the manuscript.  I allowed as how I might be a little later than that and suggested that February 15 might be more reasonable.  Actually, June 15 would be even more reasonable.  But never mind.  I am now working at a feverish pace to try to finish this book sometime reasonably close to that February 15 date.

But when I am not sitting at the computer, I have been thinking about deadlines.  All kinds of deadlines.  We all know about April 15.  At the end of each quarter at UCLA, I have faced a deadline to turn in grades.  There have been deadlines to turn in grant proposals and to get the early bird rate for conference registration.  So many deadlines.  They are mostly hateful things, generating a lot of stress.

I have also been reading Marguerite Yourcenar's magnificent "Memoirs of Hadrian."  The elderly Roman Emperor is reflecting on his life and writing a kind of testimonial for the young Marcus Aurelius who will succeed him.  Hadrian doesn't know the exact date of that ultimate deadline -- death -- but he knows that it is inevitable and that it may be close at hand.  As he assesses his life, he seems content with what he has accomplished.  He regrets most the untimely death by suicide of the young man who was the great love of his life. 

While Hadrian is sometimes harsh in his judgment of other old men, especially those whose minds seem to have hardened along with their arteries, he seems sanguine about his own aging.  He acknowledges the increasing physical weaknesses with some dismay, but of course, he has a host of servants to massage his aching limbs, lend an arm, make him comfortable, or even carry him if necessary.  

I haven't finished the book yet so I don't know if there are any last tasks Hadrian wants to complete before his final deadline with Death.  At 65,  I certainly don't feel that I am at Death's door.  I am aware, however, that I am closer to the end of my life than to its beginning.  I have retired from not one but two careers that were immensely rewarding to me, but I still work.  I write.  I teach.  I consult.  I think.  

I can't remember exactly when I stopped reading job announcements and fantasizing about other jobs I might tackle.  I do have a "lifetime to do" list that I compiled about ten years ago.  I've checked off some items:  attending another performance of Wagner's Ring, being promoted to full professor, and growing  a wisteria vine.  I'm looking forward to achieving one more this summer -- visiting Italy.  And just this week I thought of a professional project I would like to initiate:  a movement for children's library rights.  I'll be writing about that in the book that I just might finish by February 15.  I haven't set a deadline for the children's library rights movement though.


6 comments:

Eva M said...

I read Memoirs of Hadrian in my early 20s and thought it was the most romantic and beautifully written book ever - I'll have to re-read it soon.
Tell more about children's library rights...

Ginny said...

I don't really have a short version of children's library rights, but it's related to a notion of the empowered child and a shift in my own thinking from children's information needs to information rights. At the UCLA 50th Anniversary shindig at the end of January, our panel will present a rationale for a children's library bill of rights and a process by which each community could develop its own document. I'd love to see this become a national movement! I believe that it transforms the role of librarians as well as children

Susan Patron said...

Could that concept of children's rights--rights instead of needs--be part of the new title? I love the way these strands are weaving together. It funny that the deadline of April 15 was also your mom's: for having you!

Ginny said...

Another response to Eva: re Memoirs of Hadrian. I think this is one of those books that reads very differently at different ages of one's life, like Jane Austen.

Eva M said...

Okay, I'm looking forward to blogging about the panel discussion!

Cyn said...

Thanks for the tip re: *Memoirs of Hadrian*. It sounds kind of like Rosemary Sutcliff's *Sword at Sunset* where Arthur, warlord of the Britons, looks back on his life as he lies dying on the battlefield. It's my favorite Arthurian novel and one of Nancy Pearl's all-time fave books as well. I need to find Hadrian's memoirs now. Or maybe I'll just reread (again!) the Sutcliff book (!)